Link Lytics to your Facebook marketing to target your ads to lytics segments.
- Creating a Facebook System User
- Target Known Users With Facebook Custom Audience
- Create a Lookalike Audience with Facebook Ads
- Target Anonymous Users with Facebook Ads
Before you can build a custom audience in Facebook, you must agree to the Facebook Custom Audience Terms.
After you have agreed to Facebook's terms, navigate to the Facebook integration in the Integrations section of Lytics.
Click the Facebook tile, and then navigate to Authorizations.
If you have not done so already, have a Facebook Ad Account Admin authorize the account in a browser with Facebook already authenticated by choosing to create either a Facebook user auth, or a Business Manager System User auth.
- Facebook User auth will guide you through a Oauth process to authorize access to ad accounts tied to that particular Facebook user. Using Oauth is fast and simple, but can be prone to failure in the long run as authorizations can be cancelled if the user changes their password, leaves the org, and some other auth invalidating event.
- Business Manager System User auth is not tied to a specific user, so it is more reliable in the long-term and is valid until revoked in the Business Manger settings. This is the recommended authentication method if possible. See the detailed steps below to auth get a System User token.
Provide an easily-understandable description.
After clicking "Authorize," you should see the newly added Integration. All Ad Accounts associated with that user will be added.
- Your authorization to send audiences to Facebook is now complete. Next you'll want to decide the appropriate audience to share to Facebook. This is essential because known and anonymous audiences are targeted differently. First let's cover known audiences.
Creating a Facebook System User
Before creating a system user your Facebook Business Manager must:
- Have a real person as an admin user.
- Own a Facebook app. You should claim the app and associate it with a business via API or in Business Manager. To see your apps, visit the Facebook Apps page.
Once you satisfy these requirements, go to Business Settings and complete the following steps.
- Under Users click System Users.
- Click +Add to create a new system user.
- Give a name to the system user and click Create System User.
- Assign ad accounts as an asset by selecting Ad Account. Then select the ad accounts that you would like to push Lytics Audiences to.
- Next you'll need to generate a token that'll be entered into Lytics to make API calls with. To start this, select Generate New Token.
Select your Facebook app and make sure to give it ads management access.
The generated token will be only shown once, copy this token and paste it into Lytics Facebook Auth in step 5 above with an easily-understandable description.
Target Known Users With Facebook Custom Audience
Export a Lytics segments to facebook. Changes are batched to save API calls. See API Limits for details on Facebook's API limits.
|Exports to||Facebook audience|
|Name||Lytics + segment name, or custom|
|Identifiers||email, name, Facebook ID, first name, last name, gender, city, state, zip, county, phone|
|Segment Exports||selected segment|
|Type||add & remove|
You may have a segment you want to use as a Custom Audience. This audience can be used within Facebook as a target, a suppression group, or as a seed for a lookalike audience.
Configure your export to include the Ad Account ID you want, the audience with known users, and any Facebook specifics.
- Lifetime Value field at the bottom of the advanced configuration is special, it will change the list from a normal custom audience to a value-based custom audience if a field is selected. See Advertiser help center: Customer Lifetime Value for more information on value-based custom audiences.
Click Export Audiences, and it should be immediately visible in Facebook in your Audiences. It is important to note that Facebook takes time to match the segment to their users. In most cases, the audiences is available for advertising / suppression / lookalikes within 10-60 minutes.
Create a Lookalike Audience with Facebook Ads
Follow the steps above on Target Known Users With Facebook Custom Audience to export a Lytics segment into Facebook.
After you have exported your segment to Facebook, navigate to Create Audience > Lookalike Audience in the Facebook Ads Manager.
- Complete the required fields:
- Source: Select the audience to replicate.
- Country: Select the country to target.
- Optimize for: Optimize for more similarity or a larger reach.
- Click Create Audience to finish
- The new audience will now be available for you to target.
Target Anonymous Users with Facebook Ads
Anonymous audiences can only be shared on pages where BOTH the Lytics pixel and Facebook pixel are placed. This can be found in your Facebook Ads Manager account. If you don't know where to find your Ads ID, you can see instructions on how to find it in Target a Lytics Segment with Facebook. See Facebook's documentation for assistance adding the Facebook pixel and adding the Facebook pixel using Google Tag Manager to your site. Your Facebook tag should look similar to this:
After you have added the tag to your site, you will need to enable API access for the segments you would like to target. Enabling API access for a segment allows to you to return segments that the user is a member of. You can enable API access when your create or by editing an existing audience. Navigate to the Audiences section, select the audience you would like to access, and select Enable API Access.
Next, you should set up web traffic audiences. This takes data collected from the Facebook pixel and creates Lytics segment rules on that data.
- Navigate to Data > Integrations > Facebook.
- Select Create Web Traffic Audiences.
- Identify the authorization you would like to use and click Select >.
- From the Facebook Ads Account ID drop-down, select your account ID.
- From the Pixel drop-down, select your pixel ID.
Now navigate to audiences within Facebook. Here's an example below from Facebook Business Manager.
Since there is not an identifier for Facebook Custom Audience to match to, you'll need to train Facebook to look for Lytics Audiences per the screenshot in item 1 of this section. You will set up web traffic audiences. This takes data collected from the Facebook pixel and creates Lytics segment rules on that data. Create a Custom Audience from Web Traffic.
Navigate from All website visitors to Lytics Audiences.
Search for the API-enabled audience ID you want to target and adjust your lookback window.
Set the audience to contains equals true. You can also add a second audience if you would like to target multiple audiences. Name the audience and select Create Audience. You are all set to target these users with Facebook Ads. You can also build a lookalike audience based on these users. See instructions on Creating a Lookalike Audience with Facebook Ads above.