Lytics Experiences support Mailchimp campaigns and automations. These Experiences can be run as stand-alone campaigns or, using the Journey Canvas, they can manage the cross-channel customer life-cycle utilizing Mailchimp campaigns as the email touchpoint.
Like all Experience enabled providers, you can import Experiences from Mailchimp. During the import process, you will be asked to select an authorization. Read the Mailchimp authorization documentation for more information.
If you're not seeing the emails you would like to import on this list make sure that it is a Campaign or Automation created of one of the eligible types. If you would like to activate your Experience with Lytics, you may want to create a new Campaign or Automation and save it in a draft state before selecting targeting details.
Tactics are determined by whether or not the email in Mailchimp is a Campaign or Automation and further by the type of automation. Mailchimp Experiences in Lytics support the following tactics:
- Campaign - Send an email to a list of users at one time (e.g., a weekly newsletter).
- Email on List Add - Send an email when a new subscriber is added to your list.
- Email on Tag Add - Send an email when a user is tagged with a particular tag.
Note: The Email on List Add tactic applies to Mailchimp automations of the Welcome new subscribers type, and the Email on Tag Add tactic applies to automations of the Email subscribers when they're tagged type.
After importing a Mailchimp Experience you can configure it for activation. All Mailchimp Experiences have the same three configuration steps within the Experience Editor:
- Target - select the target audience for your Experience.
- Configure Mailchimp - set up how the audience for your Experience will be exported. This step will match the configuration instructions of the export workflow and will generally function the same, but without the Audience selection, as that is configured by the Target step in the Experience editor.
- Configure Delivery - choose to turn the Delivery Optimization feature on or off. For Mailchimp Experiences, Delivery Optimization is most useful for the Email on List Add or the Email on Tag Add so your email is delivered at an optimal time for each user.
Once you've finished configuring the Experience you can save and activate it.
Activating a Mailchimp Experience exports Lytics users to the associated Mailchimp list. Once the export from Lytics has populated in Mailchimp, it can be used for targeting in your Campaign. The export should complete within a few minutes of activation. If you have Delivery Optimization enabled, users will export at the optimal delivery time at which point the list will be created in Mailchimp.
Once an Experience with the Campaign tactic has been activated in Lytics, follow these steps to finalize your email in Mailchimp:
- In Mailchimp, find your campaign and edit it.
- Under the To step, select Add Recipients.
- From the Audience dropdown select the Mailchimp audience you selected during the configuration of the Experience in Lytics.
- Under Segment or Tag select the tag that matches the name of your Experience.
- Click Save to save these changes, and proceed with the setup process of your campaign, see Mailchimp's documentation for detailed instructions on these steps.
- Once you're ready to deploy, click Send to send immediately or Schedule to send the campaign later.
Email on Tag or List Add Tactics
For Email on Tag Add and Email on List Add Experiences, you must have created an automation before importing your Experience. You need to select a list for the automation before you can save it as a draft. Ensure that when you configure you select the same list you choose when creating the automation in Mailchimp. The dropdown should be pre-populated with the list you chose to make this easy.
Once you activate the Experience, use the following steps to finalize your email in Mailchimp:
- Locate the automation in Mailchimp under the Campaigns list.
- Click the Edit button to edit the automation.
- If the Experience has the Email on Tag Add tactic you will need to select the tag to trigger the email.
- Under the Design Email section there should be a statement about the trigger of your automation. Select to Edit the trigger.
- Select a delay for triggering the email if you would like one, and under Settings select the tag with the same name as your Experience.
- Click on Update Trigger to save the changes.
- Finish configuring your email refer to Mailchimp's documentation for assistance.
- Click Next to continue to the review step. Confirm your configuration looks correct and click Start Sending to finish the activation of your Mailchimp automation.
Mailchimp metrics are collected through Mailchimp's Email Activity API.
Openevents from Mailchimp count as impressions for Mailchimp campaigns and automations.
Clickevents from Mailchimp count as conversions for Mailchimp campaigns and automations.
These events are also mapped to the Lytics user fields Reached with Mailchimp Experience and Converted on Mailchimp Experience, which are available in the audience builder so that you can create new audiences using these metrics.